http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Heraldry/ArmyDUISSICOA/ArmyHeraldryUnit.aspx?u=3414

9 Field Artillery Regiment


Heraldry Image - Distinctive Unit Insignia

Distinctive Unit Insignia


 

 

 

Description

A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 9/32 inches (3.25 cm) in height consisting of a shield blazoned: Gules two puloulou palewise Proper (a ball Argent on a staff Sable), on a canton Or a stand of grape shot Proper (for the 1st Field Artillery). 

Symbolism

The 9th Field Artillery Regiment (parent organization of the 9th Field Artillery Battalion) was organized in 1916 in Hawaii from the 1st Field Artillery. This descent is shown by the stand of grape shot in the canton, taken from the coat of arms of the 1st Field Artillery, which commemorates General Taylor’s famous remark to the battery commander in the old regiment at Buena Vista, “A little more grape, Captain Bragg.” The place of origin and first station of the 9th Field Artillery Regiment are depicted in the remainder of the arms: The shield is red for Artillery. The two Hawaiian puloulou—a blackstaff with a white ball—were ancient emblems of the country and were placed on each side of the gateway to the king’s quarters. 

Background

The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 9th Field Artillery Regiment on 6 November 1922. It was amended to change the method of wear on 12 December 1923. The insignia was amended again on 7 January 1924 and 10 January 1925. It was amended to change the wear again on 16 July 1925. It was redesignated for the 9th Field Artillery Battalion on 23 December 1942. It was again redesignated for the 9th Artillery Regiment on 22 January 1958. The insignia was redesignated for the 9th Field Artillery Regiment effective 1 September 1971. 

Heraldry Image - Coat Of Arms

Coat Of Arms


 

 

 

Blazon

Shield

Gules two puloulou palewise Proper (a ball Argent on a staff Sable), on a canton Or a stand of grape shot Proper (for the 1st Field Artillery).

Crest

On a wreath of the colors, Or and Gules, an alia (crossed Hawaiian spears) supporting a puela with nine plumes, five of Gold and four of Silver, Gold and Silver alternating (the flag of the Hawaiian Chief) all Proper.

Motto

Kulia-i-ka-nuu (Hawaiian meaning “Strive to Reach the Summit.”) 

Symbolism

Shield

The 9th Field Artillery Regiment (parent organization of the 9th Field Artillery Battalion) was organized in 1916 in Hawaii from the 1st Field Artillery. This descent is shown by the stand of grape shot in the canton, taken from the coat of arms of the 1st Field Artillery, which commemorates General Taylor’s famous remark to the battery commander in the old regiment at Buena Vista, “A little more grape, Captain Bragg.” The place of origin and first station of the 9th Field Artillery Regiment are depicted in the remainder of the arms: The shield is red for Artillery. The two Hawaiian puloulou—a blackstaff with a white ball—were ancient emblems of the country and were placed on each side of the gateway to the king’s quarters.

Crest

The crest is an alia, the two crossed spears which were placed in front of the king’s house. The puela, the duster-like flag of the king, is drawn with nine plumes, five gold and four silver, indicating the number of the organization. 

Background

The coat of arms was originally approved for the 9th Field Artillery Regiment on 19 October 1921. It was amended to change the blazon of the crest on 15 December 1922. It was redesignated for the 9th Field Artillery Battalion on 23 December 1942. It was redesignated for the 9th Artillery Regiment on 22 January 1958. The insignia was amended to change the translation of the motto on 26 February 1965. The coat of arms was redesignated effective 1 September 1971 for the 9th Field Artillery Regiment.